Monday, November 23, 2009
- We are laying plans to take a group of our students to Boston next summer for “Good News Across America,” a two-week mission trip to help jump-start evangelistic and discipleship ministries to children in partnership with the local churches of Boston.
To this end, I recently found out some news: beginning January 10, Southwest Airlines will begin offering non-stop flights from DIA to Boston Logan. No need for layovers in O’Hare or anywhere else! Praise God for this wonderful development!
- On a more sober note, here is an excerpt from an e-mail I recently received from CEF HQ: “[When] we heard the news about the shootings at Ft. Hood, we immediately began praying for our workers on the base and the chaplains as we considered the comfort they would be providing to the base community in the coming days and weeks.
“There are seven elementary schools on the base at Ft. Hood ... Good News Clubs are in four of the schools and Party Clubs are held in every school. The week after the shootings Good News Clubs were underway.
“David Powell ... shares, ‘I want to praise God for allowing us to have ministry established at Fort Hood, Texas. One of our staff, Caron, was on post, meeting with the chaplains, when they received word of a mass casualty incident. The chaplains quickly deployed to the scene and the surrounding hospitals. The next day Caron received e-mails from the schools in which we are doing clubs asking for prayer. They were feeling the pressures of helping the children process the attack. We are working with the chaplains and support groups to pass out CEF’s “Do You Wonder Why?” booklets to the children and families.’”
Please be in prayer. Thank you.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
- In October, I wrote here that my long-term project with CEF’s student ministries in Denver is staffing. We are looking to hire a team of five student ministry coordinators to help build the ministry in different regions of the metro area.
I have spent the past few weeks doing research on job design and job satisfaction. Simply put, I want to create great jobs for these student ministry coordinators! Please pray as I begin drafting the actual job descriptions and lay some groundwork for our initial recruiting efforts in the spring.
- Praise God for the children in our Good News Club at Mt. View! Today we are doing the story of Noah with them. Pray that Hannah, Kayla, and I would clearly convey the things that God wants them to hear.
Thanks for praying!
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
- Praise for a great weekend trip to Kansas City, Oct 23-25! I got to see some dear friends and enjoy a few days away from my work and school responsibilities. It was a great time and I can’t wait to go back next year!
- The first week of Good News Club at Mt. View Child Care (two weeks ago now) was a little hectic. Hannah, Kayla, and I ended up being in a large room where it was hard to get an already rowdy group of kids to focus. Last week we had no club due to the heavy snowfall. I’m happy to report that things this week went much better! We were able to do a better job engaging the kids in both games and the lesson, and keep things more organized, all at the same time.
After the lesson, I got to do some counseling with two of the children. One had questions about how to control his reaction when his brothers made him angry; I was able to pray for him and talk with him about how he could depend on Christ for help. The other child had questions about the origin and nature of the Bible; I was able to offer some preliminary answers and ideas, and directed her to 2 Tim 3:16 and 2 Pet 1:21 for more.
Thanks so much for your prayers!